Whether you are from the Steel City, or just passing through, here are some little known facts about Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) to keep in mind when you play your next round of trivia. You’re sure to come out a winner!
1. Pittsburgh International Airport is the fourth largest airport in the nation, based on land mass (12,900 acres).
2. The Pittsburgh Airport’s is twice the size of downtown Pittsburgh.
3. Pittsburgh International Airport is located 16 miles northwest of downtown Pittsburgh.
4. JD Power and Associates named Pittsburgh International Airport among the top five airports in its two most recent customer satisfaction surveys.
5. Conde Nast Traveler’s magazine has frequently named the Pittsburgh Airport among the best in the United States – and in the world – in its annual People’s Choice Award.
6. The Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is made up of two separate terminal buildings (the Landside Terminal – departures and the Airside Terminal – arrivals) that are connected by two underground tramways.
7. The “AirMall” at PIT features local, national, and international retailers and a Food Court offering a variety of sit-down restaurants and fast food eateries.
8. The Pittsburgh International Airport operates about 290 non-stop flights per day to 80 destinations, and is served by 19 carriers.
9. The Pittsburgh International Airport offers free Wi-Fi, and was the first major airport in the country to offer this service beginning in 2003.
10. Insider Tip: The retail prices in the AirMall in PIT Airport are not higher than their street side retail counterparts for the most part. Plus, Pennsylvania charges no sales tax on most clothing, so pick up a few wearables while you are there!